10 – Best Songs About Money
Love is probably the most popular topic when it comes to music. Especially if there’s a broken heart and a lot of crying. But there’s a wealth of great tunes about money. Here are 10 of the best.
- Mo Money Mo Problem – The Notorious B.I.G. includes the infamous line: ‘I don’t know what they want from me. It’s like the more money we come across, the more problems we see.’
- Money – Pink Floyd. This features on The Dark Side of the Moon, an album which focuses on what can drive the human mind over the edge – war, greed, death, time and yup, you guessed it, money.
- She Works Hard for the Money – Donna Summer. Rumour has it this little ditty is about a downtrodden toilet attendant that Summer came across.
- Find Ya Wealth – Nas. This is not about searching down the back of the couch for lost coins but says Nas, ‘Look way deep inside yourself… discover the diamond inside.’
- Rich Girl – Hall and Oates. All about relying on the ‘old man’s money’. This song was apparently written about a fast-food heir that Hall dated who lived off her father’s wealth.
- Billionaire – Tracie McCoy (featuring Bruno Mars). This catchy number hints at what would it feel like to be mega-rich, including giving away a few Mercedes.
- Dime, Quarter, Nickel, Penny – Nappy Roots. ‘Ain’t it funny how we’re all about the Benji’s?’, sings Nappy.
- Gold Digger – Kanye West. No cash prizes for guessing this is all about a woman’s desire to marry a man with a lot of money. Unusual that.
- I Need a Dollar – Aloe Blacc. All about a guy who gets the sack and needs a helping hand. ‘And if I share with you my story, would you share your dollar with me?’
- Money, Money, Money – ABBA. ‘If I got me a wealthy man, I wouldn’t have to work at all, I’d fool around and have a ball’ sang Frieda in the band and Meryl Streep in the movie. How can this classic not feature in a list of the 10 best songs about money?